By Brandon J. Koch
The new NFL league year and free agency is a month away and the Buffalo Bills have holes to fill around the roster.
Should they resign some of their own? Here’s a power rankings list on who should be at the top of Buffalo’s priorities.
- EJ Gaines: according to Spotrac, Gaines has a market value of $9.3 a year. I don’t know if the Bills would pay for that, but for a pretty good cornerback, that’s fair value. I have a feeling they will go a cheap route, but he’s atop of this list.
- Kyle Williams: It’s been over a month since the season ended, so we should expect a decision soon? He’s 34 and can still play. The Bills can certainly use him back for many reasons. And he probably will be at a cheaper price.
- Preston Brown: I don’t think he will be back, but he has to be on the list. Led the league in tackles, I just think McDermott wants faster linebackers all throughout. Brown will command a nice dollar on the market.
- Ramon Humber: was a nice, cheap starter and plugin throughout the season. At his age I think he will get a similar deal and I’m on board with that.
- Jordan Matthews: Hasn’t had an injury history with the exception of last season. However, I think he will also command a dollar that’s not smart for the Bills to offer. They can go cheaper on the secondary market and the draft.
- Leonard Johnson: Played well last season and made below a million dollars in salary. Can the Bills find someone younger for the same price? Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back.
- Deonte Thompson: He made big plays in some Bills wins (Tampa, Indianapolis) I believe he will be cheap and it’s a fair deal for him to come back.
- Travaris Cadet: Unless they can find a better backup, Cadet should be that man. He’s versatile: run, catch, block. Cadet will be cheap.
- Seantrel Henderson: Teams always need offensive linemen. I think he can be good, we’ve seen flashes. The question is with injury history and having his personal issues, does McDermott want him back?
Other notables: Taiwan Jones, Joe Webb, Shareece Wright.