By Brandon J. Koch
As we inch closer to the NFL Draft, more rumors and hype surround the Buffalo Bills and quarterback prospects.
Everywhere you watch and listen, Buffalo sports stations are talking about quarterbacks. It automatically gravitates towards fans, we haven’t had a franchise QB in over 20 years. The team and fan base, playing musical chairs.
Onto some thoughts…
- Baker Mayfield is the next quarterback linked to the Bills. I’m all for it. While he is cocky, that doesn’t bother me. He has that IT factor you look for in a quarterback. The Oklahoma product has met with the Bills, while I don’t think he is the prototypical Sean McDermott player, he is a wildcard.
- It’s a good combination thinking about Baker Mayfield and LeSean McCoy together in the offensive backfield. The Buffalo offense desperately needs a complete turnover from the Tyrod era.
- The question is, do the Bills actually want Baker? We all know there’s smoke screens everywhere. Another question worth asking is, will he be there if the Bills stay at 12?
- I figured if the Bills wanted to move up in the top 5, they would have pulled the trigger already. Although, if you take a look at the draft order right now, how many teams need a quarterback?
- Unless a team jumps the Bills, Buffalo should be in good shape. I’m comfortable with any of the top QBs. Although selectingMason Rudolph that high I think would be a mistake. Even Josh Allen, who would be a development project.
- I had the opportunity and honor of meeting linebacker Lorenzo Alexander. A true class act. Buffalo is blessed to have him, his family and the ACES foundation in WNY.
- Just by interviewing Lorenzo, I could tell he is a huge voice in that Bills locker room. His passion about the team and the NFL and other issues, come out easily. A smart, smart person.
- I would be lying if I said I’m not concerned about wide receivers or linebackers. It’s a huge need. Rod Streater? Really? Receiver has to be in their draft plans. A middle linebacker is a must if McDermott wants his defense to be at full potential.
- On receivers: I like James Washington from Oklahoma State, Tre’Quan Smith from UCF, and Anthony Miller from Memphis. Both are 2nd-3rd options for the Bills. Miller is underrated and I think will be productive in the NFL.
- There’s no way the Bills wait until 22 for a quarterback, right?