Hockey is finally back! After a long offseason of big moves and new fresh faces, the Sabres take the ice for training camp.
Without further ado, here are some thoughts that are surfacing at the top of my mind and could be at yours too.
1. Sam Reinhart is officially a holdout. Cause for concern? The Sabres need him but at the right price. This is a dicey situation. What is the contract that works best for both sides? You have to think a 2-year bridge. More questions than answers.
2. Housley is interesting. What has he learned from his first year of coaching and with a new team, how will he approach his adjustments? If this year is the more of the same, the head coach has to be looked at.
3. Kyle Okposo is still a long term investment for this franchise. Can he get back to the Okposo that the Sabres signed him to be like in 2016? A bounce back for him is huge for this team.
4. Alex Nylander looked great at the prospects tournament, but does that translate to a good training camp? He’s another player that can help this team make the next step if he can strive.
5. Are the playoffs too high of expectations for the Sabres? The worst team by far last season, can they make that jump and make a run?
6. I don’t know which is more exciting? Rasmus Dahlin or Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner on the same line together. I’ll pick both.
7. We should keep expectations fair for Casey Mittelstadt. I would be surprised if he got end line center minutes right away. He will grow as the season starts and progresses. The kid is going to be really good.
8. Can this team finally put out a scoring, productive, defensive bottom 6?
9. Have your eyes on how Rochester will shape up. Should be a fun team to watch.
10. Zach Bogosian comeback?