By Brandon J. Koch
GM Brandon Beane has stated multiple times that this offseason he has to get Josh Allen some weapons.
The Bills have a small foundation built in Zay Jones and Robert Foster, but Beane knows there needs to be substantial additions at the position group. He will have a lot of opportunities to do that, via draft, free agency or even a trade.
One player he should make a call on this offseason that would be a huge help to Josh Allen and this offense is Bengals wide receiver AJ Green.
Before anyone freaks out and says it’s a bad idea, think about it.
- The Bills may not even have to trade for Green. A new regime in Cincinnati could mean big changes.
- Green has one year left on his contract at a $15 million dollar cap hit, only $3 million of that is dead cap if the Bengals decide to go in a different direction.
- If they do try and trade for Green, it shouldn’t take much. What’s the value for a 31 year-old receiver just off toe surgery? Many teams won’t give up big currency.
- Green is an all-pro who will provide instant offense and a go-to weapon for Josh Allen.
- Sean McDermott is big on veteran presence in his position groups, Green provides that.
- Maybe the biggest reason the Bills should try and go after Green: CAP ROOM!
- This offseason and in 2020, the Bills are set up with a lot of money to spend. They can afford going after Green. If they have the chance to take a flyer on him and it doesn’t work out, it won’t hurt them long term.
Beane said his number one priority is getting Josh Allen weapons. This would be a very nice start.