Bills should look into AJ Green this offseason
By Brandon J. Koch
GM Brandon Beane has stated multiple times that this offseason he has to get Josh Allen some weapons.
The Bills have a small foundation built in Zay Jones and Robert Foster, but Beane knows there needs to be substantial additions at the position group. He will have a lot of opportunities to do that, via draft, free agency or even a trade.
One player he should make a call on this offseason that would be a huge help to Josh Allen and this offense is Bengals wide receiver AJ Green.
Before anyone freaks out and says it’s a bad idea, think about it.
- The Bills may not even have to trade for Green. A new regime in Cincinnati could mean big changes.
- Green has one year left on his contract at a $15 million dollar cap hit, only $3 million of that is dead cap if the Bengals decide to go in a different direction.
- If they do try and trade for Green, it shouldn’t take much. What’s the value for a 31 year-old receiver just off toe surgery? Many teams won’t give up big currency.
- Green is an all-pro who will provide instant offense and a go-to weapon for Josh Allen.
- Sean McDermott is big on veteran presence in his position groups, Green provides that.
- Maybe the biggest reason the Bills should try and go after Green: CAP ROOM!
- This offseason and in 2020, the Bills are set up with a lot of money to spend. They can afford going after Green. If they have the chance to take a flyer on him and it doesn’t work out, it won’t hurt them long term.
Beane said his number one priority is getting Josh Allen weapons. This would be a very nice start.