By Brandon J. Koch
Happy football season everyone!
The 2018 Buffalo Bills season starts in Baltimore as the team takes on the Ravens from M&T Bank Stadium.
Without further a-due, here are some Bills thoughts that are running through my mind before the long 17- week journey.
1. Of course this thing has to start with Nathan Peterman. He owned the preseason and gets that chance to lead this offense. I think last season didn’t even show what this guy can do.
2. The way he gets the football out and ball placement will help this Bills offense steer the ship until everyone can get on the same page. I’m worried about downfield plays and the sideline throw, that’s a big concern for me.
3. Remember the preseason pledge? I took it. I don’t believe this offensive line will be as bad as they have looked. Give them a week of preparation with reps and see what happens. This offense suits each one of those starters. They will be better run blocking group than pass blocking at first.
4. I have a lot of confidence in Brian Daboll to call this offense with the modern times of the NFL. Look for packages with multiple personnel. I want to see Charles Clay targeted as a passing threat! What will be the most interesting is in game adjustments.
5. I think this offense has potentially under the radar playmakers. Jeremy Kerley can work the slot, Jason Croom has been a surprise and can really help this offense. Expect Marcus Murphy to get touches as he continues to prove himself.
6. I’m thinking about Zay Jones. Can this be a breakout year?
7. If the Bills want to go back to the postseason, this defense must carry them. The secondary is very good, second corner spot has me nervous.
8. The defensive line is filled with talent and depth. Can Trent Murphy stay healthy and get back to form? Will Shaq Lawson get into his own? Expect the run defense and pass rush to be much improve. If not, big big trouble ahead.
9. It will be exciting to see Tremaine Edmunds evolve and improve from week to week. He will be a stud in this league. The rookie runs like a deer and is so quick sideline to sideline, something this defense missed badly last season. Remember he’s only 20 years old, just think about that when you see him struggling at any point.
10. I still need to see more from Sean McDermott. While I’m a big fan of him and I know the plan he has in place, game management is still a huge question mark. Did he learn from his mistakes as a rookie?